Artistic Director – Jonathan Brown
Founder, Artistic Director
Jonathan Brown is the artistic director and conductor of Canto Deo, a Christian community choir committed to singing sacred music. He has directed choirs and orchestras since 1974 and has run large church music programs in Colorado and California. Jonathan is at home with the baton or as a singer and is called on frequently to sing baritone solos from the “classical” repertoire and “Gospel Music” – a product of his upbringing in the Pentecostal Church tradition.
Jonathan studied Gregorian Chant and received “The Interpretation of Gregorian Chant” at the Benedictine Abbey St. Pierre de Solesmes, France; he also studied chant at St. Meinrad Arch Abbey in Indiana and The Community of Jesus in Cape Cod. Jonathan is a member of the American Choral Directors Association, Chorus America and sings in St. Martin’s Chamber Choir – a professional chamber choir located in Denver. He holds a Master of Music degree in Choral Conducting from the University of Southern California.
A sampling of his repertoire includes:
- J.S. Bach: B Minor Mass, St. Matthew Passion, St. John Passion
- Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem
- Britten: A Ceremony of Carols
- Beethoven: 9th Symphony
- Fauré: Requiem
- Handel: Messiah
- Haydn: Creation
- Mozart: Requiem, Te Deum, Mass in C Minor
- Rutter: Requiem, Gloria, Magnificat
- R. Vaughan Williams: Mass in G minor, Five Mystical Songs, Fantasia on Christmas Carols
His choirs have toured internationally and have performed in major Cathedrals and churches, including:
- Italy: San Marco Cathedral – Venice, Assisi Church (St. Francis)
- Switzerland: Auditoire du Calvin -Geneva, Gruyeres
- Germany: Weimar, St. Thomas Church (where Bach served) – Leipzig, Heilegeist Church – Heidelberg
- Scotland St. Giles – Edinburgh, St. Andrews.
- Scotland: Edderton and Dornach Cathedrals, St. Giles, St. Mary’s Church
- England: Canterbury, Coventry, Yorkminster, Ely, and Winchester (he was acting precentor and guest music director for a week) Cathedrals.